Become a Member
- Appetizer Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
Partners & Friends
See the new Member Comments area below! Now you can add your recipe review, comments, or
suggestions to the public recipes.
HERMAN SOURDOUGH STARTER
MyCookbook Recipe Database
MyCookbook Member: MYMEME
Recipe Category: Bread
Recipe Preparation Level: moderate
1 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water
Herman Food [recipe follows]
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c warm water; let stand 5 min. Combine next 3 ingred. in a medium
size NONmetal bowl; mix well. Gradually stir in 2 c warm water. Add yeast mixture,mix well. Cover loosely with plastic wrap & let stand in a warm place (80-85) for 72 hours, stirring 2 to 3 times daily. Use within 11 days.
Remove sourdough starter from refridgerator and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour. Stir well, and measure amount of starter needed for a recipe. Replinish remaining starter with Herman Food, and return to refridgerator: use within 2-14 days, stirring daily.
Repeat procedure for using or replineshing Starter. Yield: about 2 cups
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
Sitr all ingredients into remaining sourdough starter, and refridgerate.
NOTE: Herman Sourdough Starter can be frozen. Before using, let thaw at room temperature until mixture is bubbly. [aouut 5 hours]
SOURDOUGH FRENCH BREAD
2 cups sourdough batter
1 pkg dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
5-6 cups all-purpose flour
1. The evening befote: Prepare sourdough batter.
2. After 12 hours: In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, salt and about 5 cups of flour.
3. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
4. Add sourdough batter and yeast and mix well.
5. Allow the dough to rest about 20 min. Turn onto a floured board and knead, adding about 1 cup of flour, as needed.
6. Place dough in a greased bowl, turn, coner and let rise till double. [about 2 hrs]
7. Turn onto floured board, divide into two pieces, knead each piece slightly, and shape into 2 loaves. Place on oiled pans, cover and let rise again .[can put IN pans)
8. Brush tops with water (for a hard crust) Bake at 359 for 40 min.(brush tops once again during baking if you want a hard crust)
9. Bread is done when crust is brown, and sounds hollow when tapped with your knuckles.
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to click a button here that would
instantly add this recipe to your personal cookbook! Join MyCookbook today - it's free!
Feel free to send this recipe to the Guest member, or even send it to your e-mail using the options below:
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to offer a review and/or suggestions
for this recipe!
Join MyCookbook today - it's free!